Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Vase With Rubber Bands and Spray Paint

                                                                                        Source: rachelmahan.tumblr.com via Sarah on Pinterest

This Christmas my goal was to decorate using things I already own. I saw these awesome vases and just knew I could make these suckers. I didn't have vases but I did have random glass jars of green chili sauce, jelly and olives and figured these would do!

The original craft can be found here. He uses yarn and tape to get the effect but rubber bands definitely sounded easier. I was happy to see that the original also called for jars that were washed "sparkly clean." I couldn't get mine sparkly clean so I left some of the goo from the paper wrappers and hoped for the best.

My naked jars.

Wrapped in rubber bands... feeling good about this craft so far!

I balanced them on the handle of my plunger because it was handy and now I have a nice sparkly handle plunger.

After three coats of silver spray paint (what I had on hand after Halloween.)

With the rubber bands removed they are living up to my expectations! The paint wasn't totally dry because I am impatient and I left some random finger prints.

Add the tea lights and enjoy the glow.


The process was really easy to do and I would only change two things next time:
1. Use a different color spray paint. The silver looks too aluminum can-like to me.
2. Plan on a way to cover the threads of the jar... oh wait I did do that after the fact - here is the result. 
I added a ring of glitter but that still didn't cover the jar threads enough and I probably should have used a ribbon like the original post called for.

I gave this craft 5 pins because it is completely do-able and if you are patient and have clean jars/vases you will get something worth of display on your mantel.

Let us know if you tried this craft and how satisfied you were with the results!

Cheers,


3 comments:

  1. First of all, I can't believe you used a plunger (poop) for this craft. Second, I like the glitter!!! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you not see the cold and snow outside. That is what I had on hand. No poop touched this craft!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just terrified of all things bathroom. It's not you...it's me.

    ReplyDelete