Friday, January 20, 2012

Bleach Pen Designs

For my kid's birthday I make them shirts with their age on it. Normally this is appliqued or embroidered but I thought it was becoming a little to feminine for my son. Enter the bleach pen shirt art.

                                                                           Source: showtellshare.blogspot.com via Sarah on Pinterest

When I thought about a bleach pen I thought it would be like a sharpie filled with bleach, it isn't. It is more like a tube of toothpaste that you squeeze the thick bleach out of. I loved the tip to iron on freezer paper to the back side so it doesn't soak through and saved me from this cookie sheet/towel contraption I was going to use. I used a black pen so I let the paste sit overnight and my end results were a nice light orange (not the pink I was afraid of).
I did have a little trouble when an air bubble came out of the tip and created a small halo. Didn't ruin the shirt but I think it would have been nice if that didn't happen. I would recommend that you start with simple designs that allow for some creative mistakes. My son loves his "new" shirt and I think this would be a great way to redesign clothes that have stains on them.

Another five pins! 

2 comments:

  1. My only complaint with this project is how difficult it has been for me to find bleach pens. I was going to do this project for my daughter's bday (last June - saw this in Family Fun). I went to 6 stores and could not find a single bleach pen. I know now I can get them online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if this would work but I thought about using a water pen from an old aqua doodle and filling it with a bleach mixture. Might be cheaper. ?

    ReplyDelete